Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Cinnamon crunch muesli


It's already March, I can't believe that we are 3 months into the new year! I don't know about you but life seems to be getting busier and busier! When life gets busy I become a "breakfast skipper" - although breakfast is my favourite meal of the day I very rarely eat it- some mornings amongst the eye lash curler, hair straighter and staring into my wardrobe exclaiming "I have nothing to wear!" I can't seem to find the time to make myself something to eat. I am not a fan of cereal, for some reason I have never been able to stomach a huge bowl of milk and special K so early in the day, so a convenience breakfast for me is normally half of a chocolate chip cookie or a handful of grapes and a quick cup of coffee- admittedly not the breakfast of champions. I decided it was time to make a change- so I found some time and whipped up some Cinnamon crunch muesli- delicious breakfast treat by the wonderful Bill Granger, best of all it can be made in advance so you can always have something to nibble on. This is so yummy, admittedly it is quite rich but you only need a sprinkling on some yogurt or fruit to make a delicious morning meal.

Cinnamon crunch muesli

Ingredients:
  • 125g of unsalted butter
  • 60g of brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
  • 300g of rolled oats
  • 160g of natural almonds (skin on)
Directions:
Pre heat the oven to 160°C (320°F) line a baking tray with baking paper and roughly chop almonds.


Pop the butter, sugar and cinnamon in a large pan or pot over a medium heat and stir until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved- it will turn into a deep rich nutty colour. Take the syrup off the heat and mix the oats and almonds into the mix and coat evenly.

The spread the mixture evenly over the baking tray (you must try to resist sampling as it could be hot)



Pop in the oven and bake for approximately 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure that the oats are crispy all over.
Wait until the muesli is completely cool before putting it in an air tight jar.
Enjoy over some yoghurt, poached fruit and a drizzling of honey!


3 comments:

  1. That is some beautifully crunchy looking muesli! I try to put my breakfast together the night before that way no matter what kind of morning, I can always have my yogurt-it is my favourite eal of the day, too.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a bit of a breakfast skipper but this would definitely change my mind! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, I want to stick this on some yogurt or oatmeal! Yum!

    ReplyDelete